How much money can I make? With 3 flowering plants, 3 vegetative plants , and 12 immature plants–common amounts for medical marijuana laws.
I hear many people complaining that even though growing medical marijuana is legal, they can ONLY grow 6 plants by law, 3 plants growing and 3 plants flowering. Well we are here to break down the myths that you “can’t make any money doing that small of an operation” and “6 plants doesn’t sound like a commercial operation to me” and”there is too much regulation.” Now I am not talking about make thousands and thousands of dollars, just a little extra pocket change, and enough to reduce your pot budget if you smoke all the time. You can make about 5,000 dollar per year.
There is a lot of regulation–a disadvantage because it limits potential profits, but it’s new and it’s the most profitable cash crop–so it’s probably needed. Most states put a measure in the Medical Marijuana law that you have to grow it in a secure area, a lockable area…this is so kids don’t get into it (like a gun safe). The outcomes are unknown and it’s valuable. What does this mean for The WEED Business? It means it’s a good thing because it mandates that all legal suppliers are small-scale growers.
As the green movement progresses, the regulations will likely be eased, and seeing acres of high grade medical marijuana and hemp could be commonplace. Unless and until it’s legalized in every state, large-scale outdoor growing is problematic. There would be poachers, fences, armed guards in the fields. People wouldn’t act like it’s a corn field, they would act like it’s the only corn in a famine, because that is what the government has created….so the number of plants you can legally grow is limited for now. The more the economic benefits become apparent to the politicians, the more plants people will be allowed to grow.
If you are growing indoors, we will assume that you are harvesting 4 times a year, 3 months each harvest. We will also assume that you have invested in a automatically watered hydroponic system with quality 1000 watt lights or 240 watt LED lights for flowering, And some 4-foot fluorescent lights for your start plants or your clones.
- Growing, 2 months (eight weeks) should get 1 ounce per plant. 3 ounces per 2 months. (keep clones growing) every 2 months start a new cycle from matured clones. 6 intervals of 3 ounces = 18 ounces of pot a year. ……that’s only 1 pound and 2 ounces a year. So to sell a pound would be 5,000, but more likely you will sell grams to your friends or to yourself, as to offset the costs of electricity, your time, and those “hidden” expenses. If you sell that amount in ounces, it breaks down to: $375 per ounce times 18 equals $6,750– not too bad. 28 grams in an ounce times $20 = $560 times 18 ounces = $10,080 (the highest profit margin possible, and no smoking any for yourself)
- So yeah it does get restrictive,,,,,BUT you can grow for other patients! and expand your limit…so I guess that’s the only way to do it right.
- Therefore If you wanted to make a go at making some real pocket change, such as–making $30,000 a year would mean growing 20 plants every 2 months, and cranking out 20 ounces (1.25 lbs), selling it for $5,000 (which is high) 6 times a year.
- http://www.marijuanabusinessnews.com this site has an estimator, with drop down excel/table menus. it estimates 4.4 pounds in 2 months with 1 light (1,000 Watts). that seems OFF. really off but I like the idea, and this might help with the business plans and help you estimate your output.
- the “I grow Chronic DVD” features is 4 plants flowering, 2 month cycles, 6 x 4 ounces equals…24 ounces, 1 pound